Wednesday, March 22, 2017

Year of No-Added-Sugar - Day 3

Day 3.
So, I think... because this is, in reality, either perhaps the 5th or 6th time (lost count) I'm starting my "year of no-added-sugar" that it's starting out a LOT easier than previous attempts....
For example, the sugar cravings are not near (not even close) to what they were the first few attempts.
The first few times I attempted the year of no-added-sugar, I made it 11 days, then 3 weeks!, and then a bunch of start and stops with success for maybe 2 or 3 days in between days and days and weeks of sugary splurges.
During the first week of each of the first two attempts, I would dream about yummy sugary foods just about every night and I would think about and crave sugary foods just about every day, all day....
This, being perhaps the 6+ attempt, I haven't dreamt about sugary food yet; but, I am starting to have some cravings for sugar this afternoon/evening... which could very well be because of stress or, because of what I had for breakfast.....
Photo from Food & Thought, Naples, FL
Breakfast: raw vegan overnight oats from Food & Thought (guessing ~700). Photo of raw vegan overnight oats from a Food & Thought post: https://foodandthought.com/author/oliver/
UPDATE: Later found out that Food & Thought overnight oats have maple syrup!
Lunch: rice, peas, and a Hilary's adzuki bean burger (~600 calories).
Dinner: rice and bag-o-green-beans (~350 calories).
Total calories ~1,650, which is about right on the money for my weightloss goals and I also do not feel like I'm starving. In fact, all these meals have been quite filling.
Hot black, rose hips, and peppermint teas throughout the day. Magnesium/calcium supplement Calm tea at night.
And, water throughout the day, can't forget to drink water!
Now, back to those sugar cravings I'm having this afternoon/evening....
I am wondering if I'm having sugar cravings because of either the fruit in my breakfast, which is of course filled with its own sugar (but not added), or if there was in fact some type of added sugar...
In my ebbs and flows in various elimination food choice scheming, I always find it easier to be "all or nothing." For me, moderation is like holding on to the wagon with only one foot and one hand while the rest of the body is hanging mid-air off the side. One taste of sugar and the body is like, hmmm... that was good, more please! But, I digress...
So, back to breakfast...
On previous adventures during no-added-sugar attempts, I had asked the Food & Thought staff if there was any added sugar in the raw vegan overnight oats.... but, perhaps I should have asked more detailed questions, for example, if there were any kind of sweeteners added, like agave or honey or stevia...
What I do know is, the raw vegan overnight oats at Food & Thought are delicious. They do have oats, homemade almond milk, goji berries, banana, walnuts, and chia seeds. They are yummy and perhaps it's just the fruit adding the sugary taste. Perhaps tomorrow I will go in and ask a little more detailed question about added sweeteners. The one thing about making no-added-sugar food choices is that you kind of end up being a pest to waitstaff.
UPDATE: Found out next day that the overnight oats have maple syrup in them.
So, moving on... I did get a headache today, near migraine towards mid-afternoon. I think it was still remnants from the too-hot bath last night because my head was just feeling on the verge of headache most of the day and finally went into full headache mode in the afternoon. Took a couple alleve and it eventually went away.
Walked 30+ minutes tonight, accomplished 10,000 steps today (Fitbit).
Day 3 in the books.

No comments:

Post a Comment